Religion and Rachel

I'm gunna get deep for a second.
 
So, I've always had one fundamental problem with Christianity as an organized religion.  The lack of tolerance for other lifestyles.  I'm not saying that Christianity itself has this flaw, but rather, laws of man have added this component. 
 
I've always thought that Christians would have a much better public image if only they would stick to the teachings of Christ himself, instead of becoming hung up on the laws imposed by the bible (seriously guys, it's NOT the word of God, as much as you want it to be, it was written by humans and as such will have inherent flaws, just like humans do.)  I simply do not agree that it is somehow okay to hate any group of people because they are "sinners".  I honestly, in my heart, believe that this is a core value that Jesus tried to get across.  However, certain very public, people have abandoned this core belief. 
 
I can distinctly remember having a Saturday night slumber party as a child, and going to Sunday School with my friend the next morning.  I was raised Catholic.  My friend went to a non-denominational Protestant Church.  The Sunday school teacher, upon hearing I was a Catholic told me that he would "pray for me".  That some day I would "see the error of my ways", and stop "worshiping false idols".  He convinced me, at 12 years old, that I was going to Hell.  All for worshiping the SAME God, and following the SAME teachings of Christ.  He actually told me that if I wasn't saved, I would go to Hell.  He said that because in the Catholic Religion you pray through certain figures (Jesus, Mary, other Saints) I was worshiping false idols.
 
This has shaped a lot of my views in the past years.  I simply do not believe in chastising people for their beliefs, and feel like no matter HOW you worship, or even don't worship, that Heaven is a reward for those who are good people.
 
I wish I could find some organized religion that thought that.  Where the only laws are "Be a good person, respect others, and stand up for what's right"  A religion that is all accepting and tollerant.
 
That would be a religion I can get behind.
 
I guess in the meantime, I will focus on myself.  I will try to do my best to be a good person, and respect others.  I will always turn the other cheek, and I will never hate any person for any one sin.  I will do my best to send love in all directions.  And most importantly, I will do my best to stand up for what's right.

1 comments:

saucyminx410 said...

Interesting post- as I too have been thinking along the same lines recently. I've been meaning to write a post about how it dawned on me recently that in the next several years I will become the spiritual guide post for my children and will need to form some sort of concrete opinion. I grew up in the Church of God and believe what I have been taught- but I too have trouble with the teaching of tolerance. I believe the church should be doing more than tolerating - they should be accepting. Yet it never fails - even on Easter Sunday at my sister's church homosexuality came up as a sin and reminded me all over again why I don't attend that church.

Post a Comment