Ugh

Some events have gone down recently at work.  I normally try to leave my working environment out of the blog, but I'm so upset with the way things have come down, I have to write about it.

First of all, it's important to note that i am a contract employee.  This means that I work for an engineering firm that makes a percentage of what I earn working on site at a plant.  We'll call the firm i work for Company A, and the plant I'm located on site at Company B.

Well, about a month ago, my boss at Company B pulled aside me and another contractor (who also works for Company A) and told us that our jobs were in danger, and that he needed us to work faster so that he could justify keeping us on staff.  Or rather, if we were already working as fast as we can, to charge less time than we worked... essentially he asked us to work free overtime.  I wont do that, for starters I'm already working for an amount that is lower than the average pay level for my Job, Experience, and GPA.  Secondly, I think that this is unethical of me, providing free labor for Company B, all while taking money out of Company A's pocket.  So, instead, I stressed.  I worked my ass off, and stressed like crazy while I was doing it. 

Meanwhile, Company B is undergoing structure changes.  Company B Boss chooses to not tell his contract employees about this, and we are shut out from all meetings on the topic.  As the direct employees are learning their new assignments, we are left to wait, and wait, and wait. 

The contractors, though talking with other employees, find out that company B Boss is being removed from his position, and being demoted from manager to engineer.  Then we find out that no lay-offs or staff cuts (including contractors) was ever planned (i.e. Our Jobs were NEVER in danger).  Last week, we had a staff meeting, and found out that starting today The contractors have a new boss, and we learn who he is.  He's on vacation this week (and last), and no one is able to introduce themselves at this point.

Then I found out something else.  Company B Boss... he knew where we were headed the whole time.  While he was making us feel like our jobs were in danger, and that he was trying to help us.  He knew BEFORE new boss left for vacation.  He knew when he okayed two and a half weeks of vacation for my friend (vacation that starts this week).  He waited until we were in a meeting with everyone, and told us where we were going, and not only that, That he was taking all of the projects both of us were working on except for the two that we individually liked the least.  From now on my ONLY task involves being outside (which I loved in March and April, but now it's hot and humid and rains twice a week), so if the weather doesn't cooperate, I have NOTHING to occupy my time.  If the weather does cooperate, I also lose out, because going outside mid day here feels like standing on the freaking sun, and it's only June.  My friend was given sole responsibility for a project that Her, Me and ANOTHER engineer were working on up until now.  She had expressed to Company B Boss that she didn't enjoy the project and would like to work on other things.

In short, He screwed us over.

And just when I thought he couldn't possibly be any bigger of a jerk, he pulled aside my friend again, and told her AGAIN that her job is still in danger because of the "upcoming layoffs" (which by the way, we talked to our friends in HR... no layoffs coming).  And that she should be getting even more done now that she's not "distracted" by other projects.

Not only that, but I could've been preparing for my transition to my new area while my new boss was here, but instead I had to leave my office (my big pretty office with a window) to share a cubicle with another person to make room for someone moving to this area. 

I cried a lot about this on Wednesday.  I went to Vegas, pushed it out of my head for the weekend, but now I'm back, and I keep getting more furious about how this all went down.. 

I feel like this whole month has been some kind of mind game, or last minute grasps for power.  I went on the vacation of a lifetime (Mexico) all the while stressing about whether or not my job would be there when I got back.  All I can say now is that I'm glad to be moving out of this environment and into a new phase of my Career here at company B.  I already know most of my new co-workers, and they're nice, they're fun, and I like them.  I haven't had a chance to meet my new boss yet, but from what I understand he's super nice, and much more personable than my old one. 

I just keep trying to focus on the positives.  I get to move out to a fun building that is in the heart of the plant.  I get a new boss who doesn't intimidate me and try to scare me into working for free.  I GET TO WEAR JEANS, and will be allowed to wear my steel toed boots as my normal footwear (instead of changing in and out of them because they do not match my "professional attire"), i wont be sent an e-mail about the dress code if it's a cold morning, and the only thing warm I have in my car is a hoodie and I wear it into the building then immediately take it off (even though the pipe designers who work across the hall from me get to wear jeans, tennies and hoodies every day).  I still actually have a Job, when so many people don't.  The work I've done for that area in the past has always ended with me being told "I really appreciate that you did this for us, Thank you so much" when everything else I've done here has been met with "not fast enough", "you forgot this ONE TINY thing, but I'm going to yell about it anyway" and worst of all: plain silence.  At least, in my new capacity i stand a chance at feeling appreciated, comfortable, and happy.  All in all the move is a good thing, I just wish it didn't all come down like this.  What a jerk.

1 comments:

Michelleigh said...

Glad to see another ChE blogger. :) Sorry to hear about your work situation. I'm a contractor too and some days it really just sucks.

I'm going to be a follower now! :)

Post a Comment