Aquarium... Out.

So I spoke with the people at the aquarium, and was not happy with the results.  First off, if we want to include an exhibit in the ceremony, the cost is nearly 8,000 for the rental, and then a 20k food minimum.
 
So. No.
 
That's ridiculous for what they're offering: 30 minutes with fish, followed by no aquarium access, and a reception in a rinky dinky room, with no tanks, few windows, and exposed HVAC systems.  No. Thanks.
 
I'm looking into a few sites nearby that I hadn't considered before, but will be meeting with the events girl (they're owned by the same company) in about 2 weeks.
 
In the meantime, I'm seriously considering having the wedding at my uncle's house.
 
Now, this is not exactly a regular house.  I have to tell you how the men in my family work.
 
When I was a baby, my Grandparents' house flooded.  For the third time.  Papa, being fed up with these antics went out and BOUGHT a land mover and built his own levee.  The men in this family do nothing "by halves" it's very all or nothing.  Back to my Uncle, he wanted to build an outdoor kitchen for cleaning fish after fishing trips.  This thing quickly became an entire RESTAURANT that he built behind his house.  It has three indrustial refrigerators, and two freezers.  Industrial grade stoves and ovens, not to mention a seperate flat grill (kinda like at waffle house).  Outside, he has a buffet station.  He has a fully stocked bar.  He calls this the "man room"
 
Oh, did I mention that he also owns one of the largest plumbing companies in the area?  Because he does.  That's where he gets all of this money that he has no clue what to do with.
 
Last fall, we had a family reunion that was hosted there.  Uncle R did all of the cooking (oh yea, that's another thing about my family, we LOVE to cook, and my Great Grandparents owned a restauraunt for a long time), the food was phenomenal.  He hired a bartender, and overstocked the bar.  He rented a "hot dog cart" for the kids, and even set up a whole "kids area" on the other side of the property with a bounce house.  He had a cigar bar.  And it was FUN.  We all had a fantastic time.
 
There are so many upshots to this set up:
1) I wouldn't need a "head count" for a caterer, and would be free to invite last minute geusts.
2) CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, I could allot more funds for different things (Photographer, Cake, Flowers, DRESS, SHOES, etc.)
3) I know that the food would be fantastic, and that I wouldn't have to worry about a thing, also, we could put together a menu of whatever we wanted without . (True story, anytime you ask my Papa how a wedding was his answer always starts with "the food was horrible" or "the food was great" and he judges the rest of the event based on that)
4) We could stock the bar with whatever wines, liqour, beer we wanted without having to pay premiums "per person" if we know we're only stocking things 25% of the people will take advantage of (let's face it, why would I pay "per person" for an open bar when several of the people don't even drink, and several more will only have one glass of wine?)
 
The only downsides so far:
1) The dance floor would have to be set up where the "kid area" was for the reunion, meaning it would be totally seperate from the bar, food, and some people.
2) setting up/cleaning up would be our job.
3) we're already having the bridal shower there, and probably other parties as well.
 
I'm going to keep looking at venues, but right now, this is kind of the "front-runner."  We shall see.
 

1 comments:

saucyminx410 said...

Just to let you know- one of the bridal magazines that I have has a really nice feature on "at home" weddings. It may be something that you would like to look at to consider- I'll let you know which one it is when I get home and can look at it. That may help you to get an idea of what types of things you can do and may help you to decide.

Post a Comment