Accomlishments

In the spirit of bogging about getting things done, I've accomplished quite a bit at work today. Though my list doesn't look as impressive as Amber's list, it's a lot for my job:

-Got to work, and waded through several e-mails full of information for the day's calculations
-Sized a Process Safety Valve based on Liquid Thermal Expansion for a heat exchanger, complete from start to finish in a mere 3 hours (this normally takes all day)
-Had a nice lunch of veggie burgers with carrots and celery on the side.
-Sized another PSV in about 2 hours, and even ANOTHER in another 2 hours. They both need more info before I can call them complete, because I need to look at drawings and decide if these pieces of equipment are at risk for overpressure due to fire, so they are either 90% done or 50 % done. I also need to look at the same drawings and calculate some pressure drops.
-wrote design summaries for all the PSVs with plans to go bakc and edit the two later ones with a line or two once I have more info.

And now here I am, accomplishing roughly 2 days worth of work since 7:30 am. I got to work about a half an hour late today, so I have to stay until six. If I had work I could be working on, this wouldn't be so bad, but, alas, I've used up all my given information for this project, and must await another batch of Information from Texas before I can press on. So, I blog.

I know that a workday in my life seems dull to most; a 10 hour shift of math, chemistry, process simulations, and excel. But to me, well, I can't think of anything I'd like to do as a career more. I come in every morning, and make this plant a safer place, I prevent major plant explosions with these calculations, and that makes me feel so important. It gives me a sence of worth that few other things can.

Plus, it helps that I'm a total dork for this stuff. Seriously. I like math. And I really enjoy the time I spend working on these projects.

0 comments:

Post a Comment