My Wednesday Night purchase extraviganza... as promised.

So, Wednesday after work I headed to DSW in search of new tennis shoes. I’ve had the same pair for about 2 years now, and as anyone who knows me in real life can attest, after about a year and a half, my shoes start to smell like “dank basement”

Right off the bat, I found a really cute pair of Rocket Dog shoes for about 30 dollars. To celebrate the great find, I decided to check out possible new work shoes, but after about an hour decided that I was not going to have the same luck twice. I bought my shoes, and headed out of the store…

Then, I heard something from the distance; Sephora was calling my name.

I looked across the street and spotted that familiar comforting black and white entrance. “I promised myself I wouldn’t go to Sephora this month” I thought, and then I realized something. I had run out of eyebrow wax and gel, and I need some anyway, plus Tarte’s toolbox (a fabulous kit full of tools needed for brows) was on sale via the website, and I could just pop in and grab that and go. Oh and also, I’m going to need a palette of eye shadows for my upcoming spring and summer travels (hopefully a trip to Ohio next month, Cancun in May (for my birthday!), and Vegas in June), since I’m completely unsure of how to manage all of those loose shadows. However, I remained strong (for the moment anyway) and decided instead to pop into ULTA which happened to be right next door anyway. I mean, after all, I made no promises about shopping at ULTA, and I definitely get into less trouble there than at Sephora.

I browsed for a bit, and then realized that they do not carry Tarte cosmetics. I had selected a palette of shadows specifically made for blue eyes, and suddenly remembered that Amber had bought similar palette from the same company years ago, and told me she was not pleased with the colors (too sheer), so I put it back, and left ULTA empty-handed, and empty-hearted. The thrill of my new shoes was already gone, and I wanted the thrill of new makeup too!

Then I glimpsed that soothing black and white entrance again… calling me. This is when I amended my March-long Sephora ban to say, that from now on, I will only visit Sephora once a month, and I will spend less than 100 dollars on each visit. And I drove very quickly to the mall across the street and parked right outside the Sephora, and sauntered my way in.
Once I got there, I saw that the Tarte kit was on sale for $18 dollars! I picked up two.Next, I began browsing for a palette of shadows. This is harder than one would think. I had rules in mind for what I wanted.
  1. Must include at least 6 shadows.
  2. Must include a mirror.
  3. Must contain a variety of colors.
  4. Must contain at the minimum 1 gold, 1 brown shadow.
  5. Must be under 50 dollars.
  6. MUST (and this was very important) actually snap closed.
There were dozens of palettes that would’ve suited me fine, but they all seemed to be made from cardboard, and have magnet enclosures. I don’t trust magnet enclosures. I know that’s strange, but I just wont do it.

Eventually, I wandered over to the Kat Von D section. I’ve seen that she had a Sephora based line the past few times I was in the store, but never really looked at it assuming it would all be makeup that would be better suited to be sold at Hot Topic to teenagers clutching copies of Twilight.
I was wrong.

The colors are all vibrant, and the two palettes were stunning collections of color. One featured several shades of golds, shimmery tans, and a couple greens, with a matte black shadow and brown shadow as well. Eight colors in all. This is the one I ultimately picked, thinking it could get me the most day to day use, and had shadows I could work into night use as well. I liked the other palette too, and may eventually go back for it in April, but only time will tell.I also picked up Urban Decay’s Shadow Primer in Sin. I liked the way it worked with the Kat Von D shades to make a richer color. All in all I spent $94 dollars, so, I think I did pretty well. I got a deluxe sample of Fekkai Dry Shampoo, which I’m pretty sure is just repackaged baby powder. I tried it out last night before bed, to see if it really could make my hair look cleaner, but what I would up with was hair that was just as greasy as before, but now it looked like I got in a fight with a changing table as well. So ladies, don’t fall for that one.




0 comments:

Post a Comment